Skip to Top Main Navigation Skip to Content Area Skip to Footer
Texas Department of Insurance
Topics:   A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z All

April 11, 2024

Unexpected indoor waterfall? Home or renters insurance might help.


A pipe bursts—or a toilet overflows or a washer hose breaks.

Good news: Your home or renters insurance policy covers sudden and accidental water damage. Your personal belongings are covered too.

Also, if mold develops on a damaged item, it would be covered.

Still, policies usually won’t cover damage from gradual leaks or seepage—and that includes damage from mold.

Mold from a flood wouldn’t be covered because home policies don’t cover floods. You would need a separate flood policy.

If you have a sudden leak, shut your water off at the main. Move expensive items off the floor. Your insurer may deny your claim if you don’t protect your property.

One more tip: You can always check what’s covered by reading your policy or calling your agent.

Listen to this Texas Insurance Podcast to hear expert advice on insurance and water damage.

Learn more