If you want to file a complaint so TDI can look into your issue, this is how it works:
- Call our Help Line at 800-252-3439 to talk about your issue. We’ll ask if you’ve talked to your company, agent, or adjuster. Sometimes a conversation can clear up an error or misunderstanding.
- Go to our Get help with an insurance complaint page. Choose the type of insurance you’re having a problem with to learn more about your options. We guide you through the steps of filing a complaint through our Complaint Portal.
- TDI will contact the company and ask for a response to your complaint. Auto and home insurance companies have 25 days to respond to us.
- When a company responds, we’ll look at their response and tell you what it means for your complaint.
Note: It takes 40 days on average to resolve a complaint. Sometimes it happens faster.
The most common complaints we get are about:
- The time it takes your own insurance company to respond to you or settle your claim. Know that auto and home companies have a certain number of days to respond to your claim.
- How much your insurance company wants to pay you. TDI can’t make a company pay more than your policy allows. But we can ask them to justify what they’re paying you, and they might take a second look.
- The company denying a coverage you thought was in your policy. We can ask a company to relook at your policy to be sure it made the correct decision.