Skip to Top Main Navigation Skip to Content Area Skip to Footer
Texas Department of Insurance
Topics:   A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z All

May 8, 2023

Protect against other drivers with uninsured motorist coverage


toy cars crashing

Texas law requires drivers to have liability coverage on their vehicles.

But some drivers fail to get coverage. Warning sign: More than 2.6 million state-registered vehicles are not matched to an insurance policy. That’s 12% of the state’s registered vehicles.

So, it could pay for you to consider uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage, which insurance companies must offer when you buy auto insurance. If you don’t want it, you have to turn it down in writing.

If you add uninsured/underinsured coverage, you’ll have extra financial protection after an accident involving a driver with little or no insurance. The coverage pays your car repair and medical bills. You’ll have to pay a $250 deductible for car repair.

Related tips:

  • Uninsured/underinsured coverage also pays to replace the property in your car, a rental car if you need it, your medical bills, and pain and suffering costs. If you don’t have this coverage, your collision coverage will pay to repair your car. But you won’t get these extra coverages and your deductible will likely be higher.
  • If an accident leaves you with long-term care needs or you aren’t able to work, your health plan probably won’t cover those costs.
  • Uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage pays if you’re in a hit-and-run accident and the other driver can’t be found to pay for damage.
  • You can usually add uninsured/underinsured coverage in $5,000 increments. A rule of thumb is to add at least enough property damage coverage to replace your vehicle. Ask your agent what coverage works for you.

Learn more