Skip to Top Main Navigation Skip to Content Area Skip to Footer
Texas Department of Insurance
Topics:   A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z All

May 10, 2024

Can I make an insurance claim for additional living expenses?


Texans with flood damage might be wondering if their homeowner policies pay for hotels, food, and other expenses if they need to leave during repairs.

When do policies pay for additional living expenses?

Homeowners and renters policies may cover additional living expenses if you can’t stay in your home because it was damaged by an event that’s covered in your policy.

For example, you need to move out during repairs because a tornado damaged your house, and your home policy covers tornadoes.

If you left your house because of a power outage or evacuation – and your home wasn’t damaged – your policy won’t cover additional living expenses.

Does my home policy cover floods?

Most home policies don’t cover floods.

Some people buy flood insurance through the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP). But NFIP policies don’t pay for additional living expenses.

If your home policy includes flood coverage, it probably will pay for additional living expenses.

Call your agent or company to ask if you have a NFIP flood policy or have flood coverage in your home policy.

Learn more

Recovery tips