A multi-year investigation by Texas Department of Insurance fraud investigators and prosecutors has produced a series of indictments and plea deals involving former NFL players and a Houston athletic trainer. The subjects of these indictments submitted false claims to the Gene Upshaw NFL Player Health Reimbursement Account.
Details about the cases:
- April 26, 2023: Former NFL player sentenced for making over $33,000 in false medical claims
- February 21, 2023: Former NFL player indicted for bogus medical claims
- December 17, 2022: Ringleader in NFL medical reimbursement scam pleads guilty – from Harris County District Attorney’s Office
- November 4, 2022: Former NFL player pleads guilty to making over $29,000 in false medical claims
- July 5, 2022: Former NFL player indicted for over $25,000 in bogus medical claims
- May 13, 2022: TDI investigation leads to additional guilty pleas from former NFL players involved in a health care scheme
- March 11, 2022: TDI investigation leads to a guilty plea from a former NFL player
- January 6, 2022: TDI Fraud investigation yields guilty plea from former Houston NFL player
- September 28, 2020: Houston trainer accused of scheme to defraud NFL fund
- January 30, 2020: Former NFL player indicted for bogus medical claims
You can report suspected insurance fraud by calling TDI’s Help Line at 800-252-3439.