There’s a good chance you have a natural gas, propane, or wood burning appliance in your home. Are you protected against carbon monoxide?
Carbon monoxide is deadly to humans and pets. You can’t see, taste, or smell it.
These tips will help keep you and your family safe:
- Install a carbon monoxide alarm in your house. It’s also a good idea to get a portable alarm for when you travel.
- Test your alarm monthly.
- Don’t use a stove to heat your home.
- Don’t use a charcoal grill inside.
- Keep your fireplace clean, and always open the flue when you use it.
- Don’t leave your vehicle running in the garage, even with the door open.
- Don’t run a portable generator in or near your home. Make sure it’s 20 feet away from open doors and windows.
- If your alarm sounds, move outdoors immediately and call 9-1-1.
Have a question about fire safety? Call the State Fire Marshal’s Office at 800-578-4677 or visit www.tdi.texas.gov/fire.