Skip to Top Main Navigation Skip to Content Area Skip to Footer
Texas Department of Insurance
Topics:   A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z All

County mutual

Apply for a license

Training and exam

  • You must take a 5-hour training class and take and pass an exam through the county mutual insurance company that you will work for (appointing company).
  • You do not need to take an exam if:
    • Your license has been expired for more than 90 days, but less than one year.
    • You don’t live in Texas, but you have a license in good standing in a reciprocal state.
    • You have the Chartered Property and Casualty Underwriter designation.
  • If you apply for an agency license, at least one officer or active partner must either: (1) already have a county mutual license or other license with greater authority, or (2) apply for and take an exam for a county mutual license or other license with greater authority.

Fingerprint background check

  • Most people who apply for a license must: (1) get a fingerprint background check from IdentoGO, and (2) send us a copy of the IdentoGO receipt showing that their fingerprints were sent to the Texas Department of Public Safety.
  • Some people can ask for an exemption from getting a fingerprint background check. To learn more, see the Texas Administrative Code.
  • You do not need to get a fingerprint background check if:
    • You live in Texas and have: (1) an active license or registration with us, and (2) already submitted fingerprints.
    • You don’t live in Texas, but you send one of the following with your application:
      • Your criminal history record from your state’s law enforcement agency.
      • Your current Certificate of Good Standing from your state.
  • To schedule a fingerprint appointment, go to IdentoGO or call 888-467-2080. Use service code 11G6QF when making the appointment.
  • To learn more, read the fingerprinting requirements and instructions.

Application: agent or agency

  • If you want to apply for an agent license:
    • You must pass the exam given by the county mutual company you will work for (appointing company) before applying. If you apply before passing the exam, you will need to: (1) send a new application after you pass the exam, and (2) pay the application fee again.
    • You must complete your fingerprints and then submit an application within one year of passing the exam or you will need to retake the exam.
    • Use the Sircon  website .
    • The application fee is $50.
  • If you want to apply for an agency license:
    • Apply online by using Sircon. Review the following tutorials before starting the application process.
    • The application fee is $50.
    • On the application, you must give information for:
      • All executive officers, directors, or partners who administer the agency’s operations in Texas.
      • All individuals and entities in control of the agency’s operations.
    • At least one officer or active partner must have a county mutual license or a license with greater authority.
  • Questions? Call us at 512-676-6500 or email
  • Tips for successful application processing.

Non-resident license

If you currently hold an active license in good standing in your resident / home state, you can apply for a non-resident license in Texas using Sircon. The application fee is $50.

Temporary license

  • A one-time 180-day temporary license is offered for a county mutual license. This license is issued only once and cannot be renewed.
  • The application fee is $150. This provides you with both a temporary and a permanent license application.
  • Apply by using the Sircon website. You must scan and attach the Appointment certification for a temporary license (Form FIN700) to the Sircon application.
    • The agent, insurance company, or agency that you will work for (sponsor) must complete the Appointment certification for a temporary license (Form FIN700).
    • By signing the appointment certification form, the sponsor confirms that:
      • You are being considered for appointment as a full-time agent.
      • They would like you to have a temporary license.
      • They will supervise your training.
  • You must take at least 40 hours of training and it must:
    • Be given by the appointing company.
    • Take place no later than the 30th day after the following are delivered or mailed to us: (1) the application, (2) application fee, and (3) certificate from the appointing company.
  • To receive a permanent license, you must:
    • Pass the exam given by the company you will work for (appointing company) within the 180 days this license is active.
    • Send us proof that you passed the exam by: (1) uploading it into the Sircon website, and (2) sending an email to that tells us you passed the exam. If you don’t upload proof and notify us by email that you passed that exam within the 180-day temporary license terms, you must submit a new application and application fee.
    • You don’t need to submit a new application for the permanent license if you submit your proof of passing the exam before your temporary license expires.
  • Only one temporary license will be issued to you. You will not be able to renew this license or apply for another temporary license.

Emergency license

An emergency license is not available for a county mutual license.

Provisional permit

A provisional permit is not offered for a county mutual license.

Laws: Texas Insurance Code

Laws about the county mutual license can be found in the Texas Insurance Code Sections  4051.201 and 4001.151.

Question? Email us at

Last updated: 9/2/2022