Skip to Top Main Navigation Skip to Content Area Skip to Footer
Texas Department of Insurance
Topics:   A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z All

Do I need insurance for a motorcycle or moped?


Yes. The state of Texas requires all drivers – including motorcyclists – to prove financial responsibility for any accidents they may cause.
A person riding a motorcycle on a road. Do motorcycles need to be insured?
  1. How much do I need?

    Motorcycles are considered the same as cars when it comes to registration, titling, and insurance requirements. The minimum liability limits are $30,000 for each injured person, $60,000 per accident, and $25,000 for property damage per accident. This basic coverage is called 30/60/25 coverage.

  2. What about a moped?

    Even though mopeds and motor-driven cycles have smaller engines and operate at lower speeds, they still require the same amount of liability insurance as motorcycles.

  3. What doesn’t need it?

    All-terrain vehicles, dirt bikes, mini-bikes, and golf carts, which are not permitted to operate on public roads, are not required to have insurance.


Questions? Call us at 800-252-3439.

Last updated: 5/15/2024