Esta información también está disponible en español.
DWC under the direction of the appointed commissioner, administers and operates the Texas workers’ compensation system. DWC monitors compliance of all parties, including injured employees, employers, health care providers, insurance carriers, and attorneys. We take enforcement action when needed, to ensure that the Texas Workers’ Compensation Act, Texas Labor Code, and other regulations are followed. Our goals at DWC are to ensure that each injured employee:
- Is treated with dignity and respect when injured on the job.
- Has access to a fair and accessible dispute resolution process.
- Has access to prompt, high-quality medical care.
- Receives services to help them return to work as soon as their health care provider considers it safe and appropriate.
DWC does not pay benefits on workers’ compensation claims. Insurance carriers (including licensed insurance companies, governmental entities, certified self-insured employers, and group self-insured employers) pay benefits. Under the Texas Workers’ Compensation Act, DWC is also required to:
- Provide education to promote safe and healthy workplaces.
- Inform parties of their rights and responsibilities in the system.
- Promote communication between parties to minimize the likelihood of disputes.
- Resolve disputes quickly and fairly when they are identified.