Skip to Top Main Navigation Skip to Left Navigation Skip to Content Area Skip to Footer
Texas Department of Insurance
Topics:   A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z All


If you have a Weston policy, contact your agent immediately to get new coverage right away.

FAQ for policyholders of Weston Property & Casualty Insurance Company


Weston, a Florida property and casualty insurance company licensed in Texas, was ordered to end its operations by Florida state officials and the Second Judicial Circuit Court of Leon County, Florida.

Of the more than 30,000 Weston policyholders in Texas, over 23,000 live in the Texas Windstorm Insurance Association’s Designated Catastrophe Area. See Guidance for Weston policyholders who live along the Texas coast.

General information

1. Is Weston still in business?

No. On August 8, 2022, Weston was ordered to end its operations.

2. Why does Weston need to end its operations?

On August 2, 2022, David Altmaier, the Florida Commissioner of the Office of Insurance Regulation, found that Weston was “insolvent.” This means that Weston can’t pay all of its obligations, such as policyholder claims. Weston must now bring its business to an end and pay claims and bills with available money and assets.

3. What is the status of my Weston policy?

Weston’s insurance policies will be canceled effective 12:01 a.m. on September 7, 2022. If you are a policyholder, this is when your policy will end unless your policy ends earlier than that day under the terms of your policy.

4. Can I renew, make changes, or add coverage to my Weston policy?

No. Weston may not issue or renew policies.

5. Should I get an insurance policy with another company?

Yes. Your insurance agent can advise you about options.

If you live along the Texas coast, you may be able to get windstorm and hail coverage through the Texas Windstorm Insurance Association (TWIA).

6. Will I get a refund for premium paid for the period after the policy is canceled?

Yes. The Texas Property and Casualty Insurance Guaranty Association (TPCIGA) will refund your unearned premium (premium paid for the period after the policy is canceled).

For more information, visit TPCIGA’s website.

More details:
TPCIGA is responsible for paying claims for unearned premium. You don’t have to file your own claim. The Special Deputy Receiver will notify the guaranty association of your unearned premium claim.

TPCIGA was created by the Texas Legislature to pay property and casualty claims if an insurance company fails. This includes refunding unearned premium payments to policyholders. Learn more about TPCIGA on their About Us webpage.

People living in another state can find their state’s guaranty association by going to the National Conference of Insurance Guaranty Funds’ website.

7. When am I going to get my refund of unearned premium?

TPCIGA’s website says they will begin to process refunds as soon as possible after they receive all necessary financial information from the Special Deputy Receiver. It is not necessary to file a claim with TPCIGA for your unearned premium.

8. How much will I get from TPCIGA?

The amount that you already paid Weston for coverage after September 7, 2022.

9. Have a hardship? Here's how to request a faster refund of unearned premium

To request a faster refund due to a hardship situation, please contact the Special Deputy Receiver at:

Claims Contact
Customer Service: 877-505-3040 – Available 24 hours, 7 days a week.
Fax: 866-261-8507
Mailing address: P.O. Box 142057, Coral Gables, FL 33114-2057

Claims information

10. How will the guaranty association pay claims under a Weston insurance policy?

If you live in Texas:
The Texas Property and Casualty Insurance Guaranty Association will pay covered claims for policies issued to Texas residents. This is subject to limits and other exclusions.

If you don’t live in Texas:
Your state’s guaranty association will pay covered claims for policies issued to their residents. This is subject to limits and other exclusions. You can find information about your state’s guaranty association on the National Conference of Insurance Guaranty Funds’ website.

11. What happens if I filed a loss claim with Weston?

The Texas Property and Casualty Insurance Guaranty Association will send notices to people who have open claims on file with Weston after it receives the claim files.

It may take some time before the guaranty association receives the information needed to contact you.

Contact information

12. How do I contact the Texas Property and Casualty Insurance Guaranty Association?

Phone: 512-345-9335 or toll-free 800-856-0298
Fax: 512-345-9341
Mailing address: TPCIGA, 9120 Burnet Road, Austin, TX 78758

13. How do I contact the Florida Department of Financial Services or the Special Deputy Receiver?

Florida Department of Financial Services, Division of Rehabilitation and Liquidation:
Phone: 850-413-3081 or toll-free at 800-882-3054

Special Deputy Receiver: Cantilo & Bennet, L.L.P.
Phone: 800-579-6817
“Contact Us” webpage:

For more information, contact:

Last updated: 10/21/2022