Help after Harvey: Get the latest information about filing claims, how to get help

Do your repairs need a windstorm inspection?

If you live along the Texas coast, your property must meet certain building standards to get a windstorm insurance policy through the Texas Windstorm Insurance Association. Here are some things to keep in mind as you repair and rebuild.

Click photo to enlarge

1  Who's affected

Properties in 14 coastal counties and in parts of Harris County east of Highway 146 are in a designated catastrophe area. Homeowners in these areas may not be able to get private insurance that covers windstorm and hail damage. Homeowners who aren’t able to get private coverage can buy a policy through the Texas Windstorm Insurance Association (TWIA).

2  Building to code

To buy a TWIA policy, most homes and properties must have a certificate of compliance verifying that the structure meets applicable building codes and can withstand high winds and hail. There are two types of certificates of compliance:

  • A WPI-8 is issued by the Texas Department of Insurance for ongoing construction. These inspections can be performed by an appointed Texas licensed professional engineer or TDI windstorm inspector.
  • A WPI-8-C is issued by TWIA for completed construction. These inspections can be performed by a Texas licensed professional engineer.

3  Inspection requirements

Most new construction, roof replacements, major repairs, and other alterations require an inspection and certificate of compliance. Examples of projects that do not require an inspection include:

  • Roof repairs of less than 100 square feet that don’t involve decking.
  • Painting, carpeting, cabinets, and other non-structural items.
  • Repairs or replacement of fences, gutters, decorative shutters, steps, and screen doors.
  • Plumbing and electrical repairs.
  • Replacement of glass in windows or doors.

4  Finding an inspector

Ask your contractor how they will meet the requirements for an inspection and get a certificate of compliance for your project. Texas licensed professional engineers appointed by TDI can perform inspections on ongoing construction. You can also search for qualified inspectors on the TDI Windstorm website or call the TDI Windstorm Office at 1-800-248-6032. If the construction is complete, a Texas licensed professional engineer can perform the inspection and send it to TWIA for a WPI-8-C. Inspections on completed construction may cost more.

5  Search for a certificate

You can check for a property’s certificate of compliance (WPI-8) on the TDI Windstorm website. To locate a WPI-8-C, call TWIA at 1-800-231-5360.



For more tips like these:

Like TDI on Facebook      Follow TDI on Twitter      Sign up for email updates      Subscribe to TDI's YouTube Channel

For more information, contact:

Last updated: 01/31/2018

Contact Information and Other Helpful Links