Skip to Top Main Navigation Skip to Left Navigation Skip to Content Area Skip to Footer
Topics:   A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z All

Have a question about your agent or adjuster license?

We’re experiencing delays in processing applications for agent and adjuster licenses and answering your calls due to a high volume of requests. We apologize for the delay and are working hard to reduce processing times quickly and make long-term improvements to our customer service.

Visit Sircon to renew your license, print a copy, check your continuing education credits, and conduct other common transactions.

Here are answers to the most common questions we get.

How do I apply for license?

Submit an application on Sircon to apply for these license types:

  • Adjuster
  • General lines: Life, accident, health and HMO
  • General lines: Property and casualty
  • Limited lines
  • Managing general agent
  • Surplus lines
  • Personal lines property and casualty
  • Life only

Most licenses require an examination. Visit Pearson VUE to schedule an exam and get the candidate handbook. You can call Pearson VUE at 1-888-754-7667.

You’ll also need to schedule an appointment with IdentoGO for electronic fingerprinting. Send a copy of your receipt to TDI showing that your fingerprints were sent to the Texas Department of Public Safety.

For all other license types, complete a paper TDI Individual Application for Insurance License.

How long does it take to process an application?

It’s taking up to four weeks to process applications. Once we’ve reviewed your application, you’ll get an email with our decision or be contacted to provide more information.

How can I avoid delays once you get to my application?

Make sure your application is complete. To avoid the common issues that delay processing:

  • Pay the required fee.
  • Include a fingerprint receipt with the application if required. To get fingerprints, schedule an appointment with IdentoGO, the approved vendor for electronic fingerprinting.
  • Include your course completion certificate for licenses requiring a pre-licensing course.
  • Make sure the name, date of birth, and Social Security Number on your application are correct and will match the information in the criminal history report.
  • Provide all four addresses – business, mailing, residential, and an email address – on the application.
  • Answer all screening questions on the application.
  • If filing a paper application, make sure it has original notarized signatures on the application.

How do I provide missing information?

It depends on how you submitted your application:

  • NIPR electronic filing: Email and attach your documentation. Please put your name and app ID in the subject line.
  • Sircon: Select the “Check license application status” tab and enter your information. Click the Attach Supporting Documents button (paperclip icon) in the “Action” column. There you can browse for the electronic document on your computer, provide a description to give context for the reviewer, and upload the documents.
  • Paper application sent to TDI: Mail your documents to:
    Texas Department of Insurance
    Agent and Adjuster Licensing Office, MC 107-1A
    PO Box 149104
    Austin, TX 78714-9104
  • Paper application sent to Pearson VUE: Mail your documents to:
    DataStream Technologies
    18568 Forty Six Pkwy, Suite 2001
    Spring Branch, TX 78070

I got a continuing education deficiency letter. How can I resolve that?

There are several ways to resolve a continuing education deficiency:

  • Pay your fine: You must pay a $50 fine for each continuing education credit hour not completed during the license period. To pay the fine, submit your payment along with the CE Automatic Fine Payment Voucher.
  • Apply for an exemption: If you have been licensed for 20 years or longer, you may qualify for an exemption from continuing education requirements. To apply, go to Sircon and click on “Request CE Exemption.”
  • Request an extension: You may be able to apply for an extension due to a medical issue, military duty, or other circumstances beyond your control.

How can I check how many continuing education credits I have?

Go to Sircon and select “Look up education courses/credits” to see your transcript. If some of your credits aren’t posted, you can contact the course provider and ask that they be posted or send a copy of the certificate of completion with a brief explanation to or fax it to 512-490-1054.

Visit our Continuing Education page for information on how many hours are required for your license, what counts, and other details.

How do I change the address on my license?

If you still live in the same state, update your address on the National Insurance Producer Registry. If your new address is in another state, complete a paper form and send it to us by email, mail, or fax.

I am moving to Texas and have a Texas nonresident license. How do I change it to a resident license?

Submit an Application for Residency Change to Texas. You may also need to send a clearance letter from your current resident state and a fingerprint receipt.

How do I get a copy of my license?

You can go to Sircon and print a copy of your license.

How do I renew my license?

You can renew your license on Sircon. If your license has been expired for more than 90 days you are required re-apply for the license.

How do I cancel my license?

To notify TDI that you want to cancel or surrender your license, send a letter with your name, license number, and signature to or mail it to:

Texas Department of Insurance
Agent and Adjuster Licensing Office, MC 107-1A
PO Box 149104
Austin, TX  78714-9104

You can also sign and return the postcard you may have received about a continuing education deficiency. 

How do I get a letter of certification?

You can submit a request on Sircon.

I haven’t applied yet, but I need a license quickly. What are my options?

You may be eligible to apply for a temporary or provisional license.

Provisional permit:

A provisional permit allows you to act as an agent while TDI processes your application. Provisional permits are available for general lines agent, life insurance agent, life under $25,000 agent, county mutual agent, or preneed life insurance agent.

  • A provisional permit is only available to people who live in Texas. It is not available for reinstatement applications. You must have passed your exam and submitted your fingerprints for a background check.
  • You must work under the supervision of a sponsor who holds an insurance license. A sponsor can be another agent, an insurer, or health maintenance organization. The sponsor must appoint you as an agent under them.
  • Complete the Application for Individual Agent License (Form FIN506). The fee is $100.

Temporary license:

If you haven’t passed the exam yet, you can seek a temporary license.

  • A 90-day temporary license is offered for a general lines license. A temporary license can be extended for an additional 90 days. (Information on other temporary licenses)
  • A regular license will be issued after you pass the exam.
  • You must work under the supervision of a sponsor who holds an insurance license. The agent, insurer, or HMO that you will work for (appointing company) must send us a signed certificate that says:
    • You are being considered for appointment as a full-time agent.
    • They would like you to have a temporary license.
    • They will supervise your training.
  • Use Pearson VUE's application. The fee is $150.

Still have a question?

Call us at 512-676-6500. You can leave a message, and we'll respond within one business day.

For more information, contact:

Last updated: 2/12/2018