Skip to Top Main Navigation Skip to Left Navigation Skip to Content Area Skip to Footer
Topics:   A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z All

Third Party Administrators (TPAs)


Generally, an "administrator" is a person who, in connection with annuities or life benefits, health benefits, accident benefits, pharmacy benefits, or workers' compensation benefits, collects premiums or contributions from or adjusts or settles claims for residents of this state.

Statute and rules

The TPA statute is found in Texas Insurance Code (TIC) Chapter 4151 and is available for viewing and printing at Texas Insurance Code. The TPA rules are available for viewing and printing at Texas Administrative Code, 28 TAC §§ 7.1601-7.1618.

These rules establish the licensing, contracting, auditing, reporting, and other requirements for all administrators, including administrators with delegated duties in the workers' compensation system.

Although we make every attempt to ensure the currency of the code references on this page, they should be used only as guides. The TIC reflects changes a few months after a legislative session and the TAC is subject to change as needed.


Annual Reporting

March 1

Due date for the Texas Annual Insurance Maintenance, Assessment and Retaliatory Report (Maintenance Tax Form) filed with the Texas Comptroller's Office. Webfile or electronic filing is available on the Texas Comptroller's website.  Late filings incur penalties and interest.

Maintenance tax fees and reporting should include all workers' compensation fees. Hyperlinks to the instructions and tax rates are on the form.  Line 12 is the only line applicable to TPAs. NOTE:  There is no annual statement fee for TPAs (Line Item 23).  The fee referred to in the instructions of the tax form is the $200.00 annual report filing fee that is sent to TDI.

June 30

Due date for the TPA Annual Report (see Texas Insurance Code §4151.205, and 28 Texas Administrative Code §7.1609). Since this is a statutory deadline there are no provisions for an extension. Please mark your calendar as you may not receive any other notice. Review our Instructions for Filing the Third-Party Administrators (TPA) Annual Report, FIN500.  Submit the following forms and documents via email to

For TPAs (not insurers)



For TPAs (insurers)



Additional Resources

Inquiries and Mailings

Direct Inquiries to:

Phone:  (512) 676-6375
Fax:  (512) 490-1035

Mailing Addresses:

Company Licensing and Registration, MC 103-CL (if mailing money use MC 9999)
Texas Department of Insurance
P.O. Box 149104
Austin, Texas 78714-9104


Company Licensing and Registration, MC 103-CL (if mailing money use MC 9999)
Texas Department of Insurance
333 Guadalupe
Austin, Texas 78701

For more information, contact:

Last updated: 6/5/2017