Skip to Top Main Navigation Skip to Content Area Skip to Footer
Topics:   A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z All

Insurance service representative

Apply for a license


Use our online form.
We will respond within two business days.


  • To learn about how and where to take an exam, go to Pearson VUE and see the Insurance Licensing Candidate Handbook. Pearson VUE also provides exam outlines and an ESL (English as a second language) request form.
  • You do not need to take an exam if your license has been expired for more than 90 days, but less than one year.
  • The exam code, which is needed when signing up for an exam, is: InsTX-ISR09.
  • The exam fee is $62. The fee must be paid when making an exam reservation. You can pay online by credit card, debit card, voucher, or electronic check. Payments are not accepted at the testing center.

Fingerprint background check

  • Most people who apply for a license must: (1) get a fingerprint background check from IdentoGO, and (2) send us a copy of the IdentoGO receipt showing that their fingerprints were sent to the Texas Department of Public Safety.
  • Some people can ask for an exemption from getting a fingerprint background check. To learn more, see the Texas Administrative Code.
  • You do not need to get a fingerprint background check if:
    • You live in Texas and have: (1) an active license or registration with us, and (2) already submitted fingerprints.
    • You don’t live in Texas, but you send one of the following with your application:
      • Your criminal history record from your state’s law enforcement agency.
      • Your current Certificate of Good Standing from your state.


Temporary license

A temporary license is not offered for an insurance service representative license.

Emergency license

An emergency license is not offered for an insurance service representative license.

Provisional permit

A provisional permit is not offered for an insurance service representative license.

Laws: Texas Insurance Code

Laws about the insurance service representative license can be found in the Texas Insurance Code, section 4051.151.

Still have a question? Use our online form.

Last updated: 5/2/2018