Skip to Top Main Navigation Skip to Content Area Skip to Footer
Topics:   A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z All

Adjuster: workers' compensation

Apply for a license


Use our online form.
We will respond within two business days.


  • To learn about how and where to take an exam, go to Pearson VUE and see the Insurance Licensing Candidate HandbookPearson VUE also provides exam outlines and an ESL (English as a second language) request form.
  • You do not need to take an exam if:
    • Your license has been expired for more than 90 days, but less than one year.
    • You don’t live in Texas, but you have a license in good standing in a reciprocal state.
    • You have completed a TDI-approved course or training program within the last 12 months in adjusting losses. To find approved courses, create an account on the Sircon (Vertafore) website.
    • You have the chartered property and casualty underwriter or associate in claims designation.
  • The exam code, which is needed when signing up for an exam, is: InsTX-WCAdj32.
  • The exam fee is $48. The fee must be paid when making an exam reservation. You can pay online by credit card, debit card, voucher, or electronic check. Payments are not accepted at the testing center.

Fingerprint background check

  • Most people who apply for a license must: (1) get a fingerprint background check from IdentoGO, and (2) send us a copy of the IdentoGO receipt showing that their fingerprints were sent to the Texas Department of Public Safety.
  • Some people can ask for an exemption from getting a fingerprint background check. To learn more, see the Texas Administrative Code.
  • You do not need to get a fingerprint background check if:
    • You live in Texas and have: (1) an active license or registration with us, and (2) already submitted fingerprints.
    • You don’t live in Texas, but you send one of the following with your application:
      • Your criminal history record from your state’s law enforcement agency.
      • Your current Certificate of Good Standing from your state.
  • To schedule a fingerprint appointment, go to IdentoGO or call 1-888-467-2080. Use service code 11G6QF when making the appointment.
  • To learn more, read the fingerprinting requirements and instructions and the Application for Individual Agent License (Form FIN506).

Application: adjuster or agency

  • If you want to apply for an adjuster license:
    • You can apply online or by paper form:
    • The application fee is $50.
    • To learn more about the application process, go to Pearson VUE and read the Insurance Licensing Candidate Handbook
    • You must complete the application process within one year of passing the exam or the exam must be retaken.
    • If you submit your application before taking the exam, you must: (1) pass your exam within one year of submitting the application, or (2) submit another application with a fee.
  • If you want to apply for an agency license:
    • Apply by paper form: Use the Application for Insurance Agency License (Form FIN507).
    • The application fee is $50.
    • On the application, you must give information for:
      • All executive officers, directors, or partners who administer the agency’s operations in Texas.
      • All individuals and entities in control of the agency’s operations.
    • At least one officer or active partner must have an workers' compensation adjuster license or an all lines adjuster license.

Temporary license

A temporary license is not offered for a workers' compensation adjuster license.

Emergency license

A 90-day emergency license is offered for a workers' compensation adjuster license. To learn more, go to the Adjuster: emergency (catastrophe) license web page.

Provisional permit

A provisional permit is not offered for a workers' compensation adjuster license.

Laws: Texas Insurance Code

Laws about the workers' compensation adjuster license can be found in the Texas Insurance Code, section 4101.001.

Still have a question? Use our online form.

Last updated: 5/2/2018